Breast Revision Surgery (Breast Reoperation)
in Cyprus, Greece & Malta
Breast revision surgery corrects or improves the results of previous breast augmentation surgery, typically by replacing the old breast implants with new ones.
Over time, breast implants and the overlying breast tissue might change, creating a look and feel less attractive than the original result of breast enhancement. In addition, most silicone and saline breast implants are FDA-approved for around 10 to 20 years, so patients may have at least one or two replacements in their lifetime.
Yet, one of the most common reasons women undergo breast reoperation is the desire to change the breasts’ shape and size, either increasing or decreasing it. Many patients combine breast revision with breast lift surgery in such cases.
What Is Breast Revision Surgery?
Breast revision surgery improves or corrects the breast shape and size of patients who had breast augmentation surgery before, but were not satisfied with the final result.
Other reasons for having breast revision plastic surgery may include:
- Complications after breast augmentation, such as hypertrophic scarring, rippling, capsular contracture, double-bubble deformity, symmastia, asymmetry between the two breasts, implant malposition, etc.
- Changes to the body that makes patients seek a different size and shape for their breasts (implant exchange)
- Distorted breast shape due to scars of breast augmentation becoming tighten and compressing the implant
- Rupture or migration of breast implants
- Pain from capsular contracture after breast enlargement surgery
- Change from saline implants to silicone implants
- The nipple appears to be too high and the implant too low.
Alternative terms for breast revision surgery:
- Breast Reoperation
- Breast Augmentation Revision
- Breast Implant Replacement
Breast Reoperation Gallery
What Are The Different Types of Breast Revision?
Each patient’s unique treatment plan may involve one or a combination of the below breast reoperation types:
- Removal & Replacement of Breast Implants: The surgeon removes the old implants and replaces them with new ones that best suit your body and expectations. The new breast implants can differ in shape, size, and type. The doctor might also suggest adjustments to the implant pocket for optimal results.
- Breast Implant Removal With or Without Breast Lift (Mastopexy): Some women may wish to remove their breast implants for several reasons, such as weight gain, aging, or personal preference. However, the breast is left flat and deflated when the implants are removed. Breast lift plastic surgery is ideal in this case as it reshapes the breast tissue and offers a youthful and natural-looking breast.
- Breast Scars: Poor healing after breast augmentation may leave behind enlarged or stretched scars. Revision of breast scars can be the primary goal of breast reoperation in such cases.
- Capsulectomy for Capsular Contracture: When the scar tissue around the implant has contracted, it causes changes to the position or shape of the breast implants. The implants harden, rippling in the area is evident, and the patient might feel discomfort and pain. The surgeon removes the capsule around the implant to address the side effects of capsular contracture.
- Submuscular Implant Deformity Correction: Intense workout and sporting activities might move the breast implants or cause changes to their shape. This is more common for women who perform lots of upper body exercises. In this case, the surgeon can replace the pectoralis major muscles back to their anatomical position on the chest, and place new breast implants on top of the muscle.
What Does Breast Implant Revision Surgery Involve?
Step 1: Anesthesia
The first procedural step is general anesthesia performed by a certified anesthesiologist.
Step 2: Incision & Implant Placement
The incision type for breast implant revision surgery depends on the specific type of procedure that the surgeon has decided to perform. Each incision placement comes with its advantages. Dr. Stavrou plans the incision placement based on the size and type of implant and the patient’s anatomical factors.
- In the inframammary fold (IMF): This incision is the most common and preferred for implant placement. It gives direct access to the muscle and the pocket to replace the new implant.
- Around the areola (Peri-areolar incision): This incision is placed between the darker areola skin and the lighter skin of the breast.
- Transaxillary (underarm area) involves a small incision made within the armpit. The cosmetic surgeon will replace the breast implant using a specialized camera and instruments to ensure optimal placement. The skin in the underarm area is thin and creates natural creases and shadows to camouflage the scar efficiently.
Step 3: Closing the Incision
The incision is closed in layers that ensure minimal scarring, almost invisible.
What our patients say!
Recovery After Breast Revision Surgery
Recovery depends on the type of breast reoperation incision. Immediately after the surgery, you will need to wear the medical compression bra and chest band given to you by the medical staff. This support garment will minimize movement and maintain the carefully constructed pockets Dr. Stavrou created for your new implants.
Keep your arms and elbows close to your sides and avoid lifting weights until the surgeon allows it. Return to light everyday activities begins gradually after 2-3 days. After two weeks, most patients can resume work and physical activities, starting with lower-body exercises and slowly building to full-body muscular activity.
Take the post-op medication exactly as prescribed and contact the surgeon immediately if you have any concerns. We can always adjust them if needed.
The outcome of breast revision continues to improve as the breast implants settle into their final position. Results are fascinating and long-term. However, potential changes in body weight, the natural aging process, or a future pregnancy may alter the breast’s appearance.
Each patient heals in a unique way, but particular measures can speed up the recovery. The surgeon will advise patients to take special care of their breasts and follow his post-op instructions precisely for at least one month after the surgery.
Where Will Breast Implant Reoperation Take Place?
Dr. Stavrou performs breast implant revision surgery in accredited medical centers in Cyprus (Nicosia and Limassol), Greece (Athens) and Malta (Sliema).
The procedure takes place in a safe and sterile operation room. The surgeon uses the most advanced medical equipment for all types of breast plastic surgery, including breast revision. The staff involved is thoroughly trained and specialized in cosmetic procedures. Dr. Stavrou wants to ensure a safe, well-controlled and comfortable surgical experience for all of his patients.
After the procedure, the patient is transferred to the recovery suite and is closely monitored by the medical staff.
The European Institute of Plastic Surgery (EIPS) offers exceptional health care and meets the high standards of safety and care set by European laws. EIPS clinics provide individualized health care in a beautiful, exclusive and luxurious environment.
FAQs for Breast Reoperation
Should I get a breast revision?
If you have had breast implants for a while, but you are not happy with how they look anymore, or you have experienced complications after breast augmentation, then you may be a good candidate for breast revision plastic surgery.
Here’s a sum of the most commons reasons women may seek breast implant replacement:
- Change shape, size or type of implants
- Remove implants due to personal preference
- Correct implant migration
- Treat capsular contracture
- Replace implants that have bottomed out
- Correct folding or rippling
- Improve the look & feel of deflated, ruptured implants
- Correct asymmetry between breasts
- Rejuvenate breasts after weight loss, pregnancy or breastfeeding
- Upgrade older implants for newer implant models
Dr. Stavrou will examine your breasts and assess your condition, including your medical history, body shape and skin quality. Then, he will let you know if you can undergo a breast implant revision to improve or correct your breast’s shape and size.
How long does a breast augmentation revision take?
Breast revision surgery might last from 30 to 150 minutes, depending on the type of incision and implant placement the plastic surgeon will perform.
Is breast revision surgery painful?
Whether breast revision surgery will be less painful than the initial breast augmentation or not depends on the procedure’s specifics, including the type of incision.
In any case, it is normal for patients to experience some manageable pain during the recovery process. For this reason, the surgeon will prescribe pain medication, especially for the first 2-3 days post-op, to soothe and control pain and discomfort.
Is breast revision surgery safe?
Breast revision is a more complex procedure than the initial breast augmentation plastic surgery. It is safe, though, when done by an experienced and board-certified plastic surgeon. The patient should follow the surgeon’s tailored preoperative and postoperative instructions to ensure successful results and a speedy recovery.
Consult Dr. Stavrou for more information on breast revision’s safety.
Can breast implant revision provide lift?
Even though the new implants will enhance the breast size and shape, they cannot undress sagging.
In this case, you can combine breast revision and breast lift (mastopexy) during the same surgery.
Combining breast implant replacement with breast lift offers patients many benefits, such as:
- Fewer incisions and, therefore, scars
- Implant replacement and improvement of sagging look with one surgery
- Two procedures in one means less downtime.
Can you drive the day after breast implants revision?
You cannot drive right after breast implants revision, so it is better to have someone with you to drive you home on the day of the operation.
Patients might be able to drive again after one week after the surgery.
Medical tourism in Cyprus & Greece for breast revision
Cyprus and Greece are popular destinations for medical tourism. People from all over Europe and Eastern countries choose to have plastic surgery in Nicosia, Limassol or Athens, where they can find experienced plastic surgeons and state-of-the-art medical equipment for all types of plastic surgeries.
If you have any questions and concerns about breast implant revision surgery, reach out today to the accredited European Institute of Plastic Surgery (EIPS) and Dr. Stavrou at +357 9787 3787, +357 700 88 002 or +30 6971 881 572.