7 Post-Pregnancy Plastic Surgeries
Dr. Demetris Stavrou, a well established plastic surgeon trained in Israel and Australia, states that often a new mother gets depressed about losing her figure post-pregnancy. Plastic surgery could well be the answer in helping you to regain or enhance your post-pregnancy figure.
Get the plastic surgery you deserve after pregnancy. Learn more about the 5 common post-pregnancy plastic surgeries.
According to Dr. Demetris Stavrou, a new mother may often get depressed about losing her figure post-pregnancy. Plastic surgery could be the answer in helping you regain or enhance your post-pregnancy figure.
There are several choices for post-pregnancy plastic surgery – also known as mommy makeover – offered to women. These are the most popular:
1. Breast Augmentation
Breast augmentation is a cosmetic surgery that uses breast implants. There are two types of breast implants, silicone gel implants or saline breast implants. The first type is made of silicone gel, whereas the second one has a silicone envelope filled with a sterile saline solution in the form of an implant.
Learn more about Breastfeeding With Implants After Breast Augmentation Surgery.
Alternatively, breast lift surgery (mastopexy) is ideal for lifting and reshaping sagging breasts. It can also reduce the size of the areola, which is normally enlarged during and post pregnancy. A breast implant can be used at the same time to enlarge the breast.
2. Breast Reduction
This surgery is conducted to reduce the size of the breasts and to correct and possible asymmetries between the right and the left breast.
3. Tummy Tuck
For skin laxity, muscle weakness, C-section scars and the occasional hernias, tummy tuck is a recommended solution. It targets excess fat and flabby skin in the waist and tummy area. Tightening of the abdominal muscles achieves a tighter and flatter look.
One of the most popular procedures for new mothers is liposuction. It helps reduce spot fat on the hips, thighs, buttocks and upper arms. After liposuction, patients can enjoy a more contoured, smooth body.
After the baby is born, the labia of the vulva suffer the worst damage, mainly from skin laxity. Labiaplasty repairs the loose labia minora and helps new mothers regain sexual pleasure and feel more comfortable in tight jeans.
6. Treatment of Skin & Veins
Chloasma is a common facial skin pigmentation change in women after childbirth. This condition is often temporary but sometimes takes longer to disappear. Bleaching therapy is a cosmetic surgery that can remove this pigmentation to restore the skin to normal.
The extra weight of the enlarged uterus during pregnancy can produce prominent veins on the legs. This condition is also exacerbated by estrogen levels but can be rectified by sclerotherapy, or laser therapy. This process is optional but may become necessary in the case of large varicose veins.
7. Breast Lift
Mastopexy (breast lift) is ideal for women with sagging breasts or nipples that point downward. During the breast lift, the plastic surgeon removes excess skin from the breast area, tightens the remaining tissues, and repositions the nipples. The procedure results in a beautifully shaped breast, looking more youthful and feeling firmer.
Benefits of Post-Pregnancy Plastic Surgery
Pregnancy and childbirth can take a toll on a woman’s body, but plastic surgery can help restore confidence and improve self-esteem. Here are some of the key benefits of post-pregnancy plastic surgery:
- Restores breast volume and shape: Pregnancy and breastfeeding can cause the breasts to sag and lose volume. Breast augmentation or lift surgery can help restore a more youthful and lifted appearance.
- Tightens abdominal muscles and skin: Pregnancy can cause the abdominal muscles to stretch and separate, and the skin to become loose and saggy. A tummy tuck can tighten the muscles and remove excess skin and fat for a flatter, more toned appearance.
- Improves overall body contour: Many women may also consider procedures such as liposuction to remove stubborn pockets of fat or a mommy makeover, which combines several procedures to address multiple areas of the body.
- Boosts self-esteem and confidence: By improving physical appearance, plastic surgery can help women feel more confident and comfortable in their own skin. This can lead to a more positive self-image and improved quality of life.
Risks of Post-Pregnancy Plastic Surgery
As with any surgical procedure, post-pregnancy plastic surgery may carry some risks and potential complications. It’s essential for patients to be aware of these risks and to discuss them thoroughly with their plastic surgeon before making a decision.
Here are some of the risks associated with post-pregnancy plastic surgery:
- Bleeding: Excessive bleeding can occur during or after surgery and may require additional treatment.
- Infection: There is a risk of infection with any surgical procedure. Patients must take steps to minimize this risk, including following proper wound care instructions.
- Scarring: Scarring is a natural part of the healing process, and while plastic surgeons take great care to minimize scarring, patients may still experience some degree of scarring.
- Anesthesia risks: General anesthesia can carry risks, including adverse reactions to the medication.
- Blood clots: There is a risk of developing blood clots in the legs or lungs after surgery, particularly for patients who are immobile for extended periods.
- Numbness or loss of sensation: Patients may experience temporary or permanent numbness or loss of sensation in the surgical area.
Patients need to understand that these risks can be minimized through proper pre-operative planning, choosing a board-certified plastic surgeon with a proven track record of success, and following all postoperative instructions closely.
Recovery Time for Post-Pregnancy Plastic Surgery
The recovery time for a mommy makeover may vary depending on the specific procedures performed and the patient’s healing process. However, there are some general guidelines that can help patients understand what to expect.
Here is an overview of the typical recovery time for some common post-pregnancy plastic surgery procedures:
- Breast augmentation: You may need to take up to one week off work and avoid strenuous activities for four to six weeks after surgery.
- Breast lift: Take about two weeks off work and avoid strenuous activities for four to six weeks after surgery.
- Tummy tuck: You may need to take up to two weeks off work and avoid strenuous activities for six to eight weeks after surgery.
- Liposuction: One week off work might be required as well as avoiding strenuous activities for four to six weeks after surgery.
Follow your plastic surgeon’s specific instructions for postoperative care to ensure proper healing and optimal results. This may include wearing compression garments, taking medications as prescribed, and avoiding certain activities.
While recovery time can vary, it’s essential to take the necessary time to allow your body to heal properly. Rushing back to normal activities too soon can increase the risk of complications and delay the healing process.
Costs of Post-Pregnancy Plastic Surgery
The cost of post-pregnancy plastic surgery might vary based on the specific procedures performed, the surgeon’s experience, and hospitalization fees. You need to understand the costs associated with your desired procedure and to budget accordingly.
Yet the cost of post-pregnancy plastic surgery should not be the only factor in your decision-making process. You should choose a board-certified plastic surgeon with a proven track record of success and prioritize the quality of care and the safety of the procedure.
Preparing for Post-Pregnancy Plastic Surgery
Being well-prepared for post-pregnancy plastic surgery ensures a safe and successful outcome. Here are some tips to help patients prepare:
- Choose a board-certified plastic surgeon: It’s important to choose an experienced, skilled, and board-certified plastic surgeon. This will help ensure that the procedure is performed safely and effectively.
- Have realistic expectations: Have realistic expectations about the outcome of your surgery. A board-certified plastic surgeon can help patients understand what is possible and what is not.
- Avoid smoking: Smoking can increase the risk of complications during and after surgery. Patients should stop smoking at least four weeks before the procedure.
- Maintain a healthy diet: Eating healthy and exercising regularly can help prepare the body for surgery and promote a faster recovery.
- Arrange for postoperative care: You should arrange for someone to help you during the first few days after surgery, as you may need assistance with basic tasks.
- Follow all preoperative instructions: Carefully follow all preoperative instructions provided by your plastic surgeon to ensure the safest and most successful outcome.
Post-Surgery Care and Follow Up
Post-surgery care and follow-up visits are essential to ensure a safe and successful recovery from post-pregnancy plastic surgery. Here are some tips for post-operative care:
- Follow all postoperative instructions: Follow all post-operative instructions provided by your plastic surgeon, including wound care, medications, and activity restrictions.
- Take it easy: Avoid strenuous activity for several weeks after surgery to allow the body to heal properly. This includes heavy lifting and exercise.
- Wear compression garments: Depending on the procedure, you may need to wear compression garments to help reduce swelling and promote proper healing.
- Attend all follow-up appointments: Attend all scheduled follow-up appointments with your plastic surgeon to monitor progress and address any concerns.
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle: Engaging in a healthy diet, staying hydrated, and avoiding smoking can help promote a faster and smoother recovery.
- Be patient: Recovery from post-pregnancy plastic surgery can take time, so you should be patient with the healing process.
Questions to Ask Your Surgeon
Asking the right questions during your consultation with your plastic surgeon is essential to help you make an informed decision and ensure a safe and successful outcome. Here are some critical questions to ask your surgeon:
Are you board-certified? It’s important to choose a plastic surgeon who is board-certified by the relevant professional organization, such as the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
What experience do you have with this procedure? Choose a surgeon who has extensive experience performing the specific procedure they are interested in.
What are the risks and complications associated with this procedure? You should be fully informed about the potential risks and complications of the procedure you are considering.
What is the recovery process like? Try to understand what to expect during the recovery process, including how long it will take and what activities you should avoid.
What results can I realistically expect? It’s essential to have realistic expectations about the outcome of your surgery, and your surgeon can help you understand what is possible.
Can I see Before & After photos of your previous patients? Reviewing B&A photos can help patients get a better sense of what results they can expect.
What is the total cost of the procedure, including all fees? Having a clear understanding of the costs associated with the procedure will help you arrange your budget accordingly.
Finding a Qualified Surgeon
If you are searching for an experienced plastic surgeon in Nicosia, Limassol, Athens, and Sliema, book an initial consultation with Dr. Stavrou.
Dr. Stavrou advises that you only consider plastic surgery in order to feel comfortable with your post-pregnancy body and never in the case of post-pregnancy depression. After all, your body took nine months to change and create a new life within you. Likewise, returning to your pre-pregnancy body takes time. With the help of a certified plastic surgeon like Dr. Stavrou, this journey can be quite fulfilling.
At EIPS, we are dedicated to providing safe and successful post-pregnancy plastic surgery procedures to our patients. We are committed to transparency, honesty, and personalized care to help you achieve your desired results. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and learn more about mummy makeover.